Monday, October 11, 2010

Toronto Trip

This past Wednesday I made my first visit to Toronto that wasn't just sitting around Union Station for the first time in years. The visit to Toronto included a visit to the Steam Whistle Brewery, Royal Bank of Canada, and ended at CBC where we viewed a live taping of the George Stroumboulopoulos talk show.

The Steam Whistle Brewery was a great way to start the day, who doesn't love a drink before 12 in the morning?! We toured the brewery first and I decided to try some hops, and man was I ever sorry! The rest of the tour consisted of watching the workers do their job and then a fire alarm went off. Good times were had by all and I finally got to sip an ice cold beer at the very end.

The RBC visit was a little less exciting, firstly we had just had beer and then it was lunch time so being full was making me quite tired. We learned about how the bank got to sponsor the Olympic torch run along with Coca Cola, but in the end RBC got most of the glory for helping communities all along the way. The one thing that will stick out in my mind though will be the crazy man and the video of his daughter with the torch...and of course Celine Dion blaring! Ughhhhh!

Finally we got to visit the CBC and see how a real television studio works. My goal was to meet Peter Mansbridge but of course I missed it. I settled with their mediocre at best museum and watching The Queen in 3D. From there we went to the Strombo show and George interviewed Jeremy Hotz who was really funny, and George ended up being a really cool and humble guy himself. He was actually exactly the way I imagined him to be which made the show a lot more enjoyable.

At the end of the day after a long bus ride home I was just thinking that it was a pretty cool class trip, and an experience I wont soon forget. I got to better know much of the class, and just get a better understanding of how PR and the working world works in general. So all and all good times were had by all it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment