Friday, November 12, 2010

Corporate Greenwashing and Telus

The other day I was checking my e-mail like I normally do and received a message from Telus. Telus only sends me e-mails for two reasons, to let me know about rising costs or when I forget my password. Unfortunately this e-mail was about a price increase, and this was just to receive the bill.

Telus informed me that if I wanted to continue to receive my paper bill I would have to pay them an additional $2 a month. Fortunately for me though I'll be saving the world by giving that $2 to the Nature Conservancy of Canada. Wow! Now I'm forced to give a to an organization I already give a fair amount of money to anyways due to Telus being a bunch of greedy bastards.

I'm all for helping the environment as it is the biggest cause I support, but if Telus really did care they would print their bill on recycled paper, or hemp paper, or even paper made out of elephant feces. (yes it exists, I have some) Instead the are forcing a 'green fee', this is really just a way for them to save money by not having to print paper to save them money, and knowing customers don't want to pay more will switch to the e-bill. Some customers don't have this option, such as people without the internet and have no option but to pay it.

Telus presumably saved killed all of these animals after this photo.
I will be switching to the e-bill but Telus wont be donating anything for me saving the world by saving paper. Again if they truly cared they would make a substantial donation to the Nature Conservancy for every customer who goes paperless which they are not. Telus should not be using animals in their ads, they do no more than any other company to save the planet and they don't care, so why try to go green now?

So hats off to Telus for joining the ever growing list of companies pretending to be green by screwing the customer. As if I didn't already have enough reason to hate the company; now I will surley be switching cell cariers come August when my contract expries. Greenwashing doesn't work, customers see through it and don't like it. If you want to be green do something about it, but please don't screw the customer to save you money!

No comments:

Post a Comment