Friday, December 4, 2015

Death of a Rock Star

Today I found out Scott Weiland died, and his death has me totally bummed out. The part that hit me was just last week I was talking to a buddy about how I was surprised he's still alive. One may argue that there is some pretty heavy shit happening in the world right now; and while that may be true, it just seems so far, yet regular. Mass shootings seem to be a weekly occurrence, while terrorism and war seem to be inevitable. I digress; the death of a rock star seems to hit closer to home, especially when these guys are the guys I looked up to as a kid/ teen.

Growing up in the 90's I always dug the music of STP, and Weilands later band Velvet Revolver, along with his underrated solo material. For whatever reason I've always thought the reckless rock n' roll lifestyle was totally cool, and still kind of do to this day. Booze, drugs, and ladies; doesn't sound too bad right? Unfortunately when someone finally dies it brings ya back down to Earth. What could have been if some of the rockers could have cleaned up a little bit.

Lying on stage with the band.
I was luck enough to finally see Scott a few years ago on his solo tour promoting 'Happy in Galoshes.' Unfortunately he had been a mess for many years, and it became quite clear as the show progressed. His voice sounded good, the band was tight, but he was also obviously fucked. By the end of the show he was lying on the stage singing The Doors and trying really hard to be Jim Morrisson. It seemed that he was lost at that point, and most of his band joined him on the ground, though it seemed awkward and unplanned. Those years ago I predicted he'd have an untimely death much like the man he was emulating and it's now come. It's shocking to me he got on as long as he did, and in the end it's a shame, because now he's just another dead former role model. Living fast and dying young sound cool, but in reality, dying alone and completely recked seems so utterly disappointing.

Fall To Pieces Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment