Monday, November 8, 2010

Death Don't Have No Mercy

Today was a really shitty day for me, not the usual Monday blues, no it was strep throat! Woke up this morning struggling to swallow and breathe so I realized it was time to miss my first day of school. I departed to the walk in clinic, unfortunately rather than a walk in walk out clinic it was more like a walk in and get gawked at by old people and angry babies. Bad scene yes, but finally an hour and a half later the doctor sees me, tosses me penicillin for the strep throat I knew I had, went to Shoppers and got my meds.

The thing is all that happened today wasn't that bad, I mean bad enough but at least I have more than months to live. I hopped on the Avondale expecting to hear half senile old men complaining bout all those damn kids on their lawn, but today was different. I actually got choked up on a bus; my life was put in perspective for that ride as I listened to two older fellas talk.

There was a man in his early 60's with a thick grey beard talking to an even older 70+ decrepit looking fella. The older of the two begins by asking grey beard how his day is, but it's not the usual, he tells him he just found out he has Emphysema and it's probably going to kill him. He says 40 years of smoking was bound to catch up on me, I just never thought it would be today. He casually asks the older man how he is doing, he explains how he has a check up soon and should be in perfectly fine health. He then says to grey beard, I guess you wont be making it to England for Christmas this year, the grey beard pauses, looks around then says I guess not, I'll take it as it comes and gets off the bus.

The thing that got me the most in that conversation was the fact that both of the men were seniors and have just accepted death at their door. Even a man with one foot in the grave, so calm cool and collected; I thought then and there that his life must have been exactly as he wanted because he seemed to have no regrets.

Even though I am still young now it just puts your life in perspective, the reaper can call at anytime, take life as it is and dig every minute of it because one day it will be gone. I hope when my time comes I can come to accept the fact that it's the end and as my life flashes before my eyes I'll say, fuck, I lived one good life, cuz in the end death don't have no mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment